Aalborg Airport and SAS introduce a direct route to New York
Interview with Niels Hemmingsen, CEO at Aalborg Airport.
Catharina Vinther Engqvist, Head of Foreign Direct Investments at Invest in Aalborg.
Niels Hemmingsen, CEO at Aalborg Airport.
Aalborg ready for take-off ✈
Together with SAS Airlines, Aalborg Airport has announced the opening of a new route from Aalborg to New York with three weekly departures. This marks a historic moment for the Danish region of Jutland as it establishes its first direct route to the United States. The route brings along a wealth of transatlantic business opportunities.
- This is monumental for Aalborg Airport and North Denmark. It is the biggest thing we could wish for, says Niels Hemmingsen, CEO at Aalborg Airport.
Aalborg Airport is an award-winning airport in rapid development with more than 1.3 million passengers travelling through the airport every year.
- Aalborg Airport is the gateway to the rest of the world out of North Denmark. We strive to establish connections to the outside world through the routes we have in place here.
- We have high expectations for this new route to New York, says We have high expectations for this new route to New York. - Niels Hemmingsen
- New York 8 hours 3 departures a week
- Copenhagen 45 minutes Up to 18 departures a day
- Amsterdam 85 minutes Up to 4 departures a day
- London 110 minutes
- Oslo 60 minutes
- Barcelona 180 minutes
Start spreading the news…
The new route between Aalborg and New York will be serviced by SAS' Airbus 321LR with a configuration of 157 passengers. The non-stop flight from Aalborg Airport to Newark Liberty International Airport in New York will take place on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
- It’s a transatlantic route that covers the demand from all over Jutland. It will fly three weekly departures and thus meet the needs of the business community and, to some extent, tour operators and individuals looking to visit the United States.
And the opportunities go both ways:
- We are confident that over time, we will attract both business and tourism from the United States to Denmark, to Northern Denmark, and to Aalborg, says Niels Hemmingsen
“We are confident that over time, we will attract both business and tourism from the United States to Denmark, to Northern Denmark, and to Aalborg.“
Substantial proof of Aalborg Airport's position as an international airport
SAS Airlines and Aalborg Airport have launched the route based on the increasing demand for accessibility to and from Jutland and after extensive dialogues with large companies like Grundfos, Vestas, Fibertex, Siemens, and public players like Aalborg University and Region North Jutland.
Invest in Aalborg has been part of the dialogue and connection with the business community in North Denmark.
- We are incredibly proud to have been a part of the journey and we are excited about the new opportunities, says Catharina Vinther Engqvist, Head of Foreign Direct Investments at Invest in Aalborg.
The new route is expected to lead to greater trade between Denmark and the US, with major organizations in the travel industry on both sides of the Atlantic pushing to realize this route.
- It is great news for the entire business community in Jutland. There are already many international companies here - and more are on their way - a direct flight route to the United States is of enormous importance, says Catharina Vinther Engqvist.
An award-winning and sustainable Airport
In 2022 the airport was named the Best Airport in Denmark at the Danish Travel Awards and in 2021, the Airport lounge was voted, Best in the World by Air France / KLM passengers.
By the end of 2025, Aalborg Airport aims to become a CO2-neutral airport.
Aalborg Airport is working towards a sustainable transition through the international carbon management program, Airport Carbon Accreditation whose climate-friendly focus is set on the entire journey – from the parking lot to the boarding stairs.
CEO of Aalborg Airport, Niels Hemmingson talks about the new route.
Meet Catharina Vinter EngqvistHead of Foreign Direct Investments, Invest in Aalborg
Catharina and the team at Invest in Aalborg are your one-point-of contact to the City of Aalborg. We can help you with information, facts and network that make all the difference when you consider Aalborg as your business destination.
Let's help you build your business case.